Meta CEO and Chairman Mark Zuckerberg arrives in Los Angeles Superior Court on February 18, 2026, in Los Angeles, ahead of a social media trial that will determine whether the social media giant intentionally designed its platform to be addictive to children.
Frederick J. Brown | AFP | Getty Images
meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg is scheduled to testify in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday as part of a landmark social media and safety trial that has been likened to the industry’s “Big Tobacco” moment.
The trial, which began in late January, centers on a young woman who claims she became addicted to social media and video streaming apps such as Instagram. YouTube.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs claim that Meta, YouTube, TikTok and Snap misled the public about the safety of their services and knew that the design of their apps and certain features caused mental health harm to young users.
Snap and TikTok settled with the plaintiffs involved in the lawsuit before the trial began.
Mehta has denied the allegations, and a spokesperson told CNBC in a statement: “The question for the Los Angeles jury is whether Instagram was a significant contributing factor to the plaintiff’s mental health issues.”
Last week, Instagram chief Adam Mosseri testified that he believes there may be a problem with social media usage, but that he doesn’t believe it is the same as clinical addiction.
“Personally, I think you can use Instagram more than you think,” Mosseri said. “Too much is relative and personal.”
The Los Angeles trial is one of several major trials taking place this year and has been described by experts as a “Big Tobacco” moment for the social media industry. The reason for this is the alleged damage caused by the company’s products and related companies’ attempts to deceive the public.
Meta is also involved in a major trial in New Mexico. The state’s attorney general, Raul Torrez, accused social media giants of failing to protect children and young users from online criminals.
“What we’re really alleging is that Meta has developed a dangerous product, a product that not only targets children, but enables the exploitation of children in the virtual and real world,” Torrez said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” last week as opening arguments in the case began.
Another social media trial is scheduled to begin this summer in the Northern District of California. The case also involves companies such as Meta and YouTube, alleging that their apps contained flaws that caused harmful mental health problems in young users.
Video: New Mexico AG Raul Torres talks about lawsuit against meth

