Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

The gubernatorial race is crowded: What you need to know about Oregon’s primary election | Election News

May 18, 2026

Putin heads to Beijing days after Trump to test China’s direction

May 18, 2026

US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » ICE officer charged in Minnesota with shooting death of immigrant
Politics

ICE officer charged in Minnesota with shooting death of immigrant

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Residents confront federal agents after a mass shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota on January 14, 2026.

Scott Olson | Getty Images

Prosecutors announced Monday that an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer has been indicted on four counts of assault in the January shooting death of a Venezuelan immigrant in Minneapolis.

ICE officer Christian Castro was also charged with filing a false crime report in connection with the Jan. 14 shooting death of Julio Sosascelis, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.

The shooting occurred one week after another ICE agent shot and killed American citizen Renee Good in Minneapolis.

Mr. Castro, who is not in custody, is the second federal officer to face criminal charges related to his actions during Operation Metro Surge, the Trump administration’s controversial immigration enforcement mission in Minneapolis and elsewhere in Minnesota.

In April, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office charged ICE officer Gregory Donnell Morgan Jr. with assault for allegedly illegally driving an unmarked SUV on the shoulder of a Minneapolis freeway on February 5, then pointing a gun at the heads of two people in another car and trying to pass them.

Federal agents stand guard after a shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 14, 2026, as angry residents protest their presence in the city.

Scott Olson | Getty Images

In a Jan. 15 statement posted on the Department of Homeland Security’s website, ICE said Sosa-Celiz was shot and killed during a targeted traffic stop in north Minneapolis after he and two other “illegal aliens violently assaulted law enforcement with shovels and broomsticks in an attempt to evade arrest and obstruct law enforcement.”

However, video of the incident contradicted that claim. Prosecutors later dropped charges against Sosascelis and another man involved in the incident, Alfredo Algiorna, who had been accused of assaulting a federal employee.

“Video evidence reveals that sworn statements provided by two separate officers appear to have made false statements,” Todd Lyons, then acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said in a Feb. 12 statement.

“Both officers have been immediately placed on administrative leave pending the completion of a thorough internal investigation,” Lyons said.

On Monday, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office announced charges against Castro, saying the 52-year-old ICE agent fired his weapon “from the front door of a home knowing there were people who had just taken refuge inside.”

Read more CNBC’s political coverage

“The bullet passed through the door, hit Mr. Sosascelis in the leg, and finally hit the wall of the child’s room,” the agency said in a statement.

“He was alone outside his home in his front yard when he fired a gun from the front door,” the department said, contrasting ICE’s claim that agents shot and killed Sosascelis after the agents “relaxed and began hitting the officers with shovels and broomsticks.”

A law enforcement officer uses a rope to leave the scene as residents protest a shooting involving federal agents during an immigration raid in Minneapolis, Minnesota, January 14, 2026.

Madison Thorne | Anadolu | Getty Images

“Mr. Castro is an ICE officer, but just because he has a federal badge does not exempt him from state prosecution for criminal activity in Minnesota,” Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said in a statement.

“Mr. Castro fired the gun from the front door of his home, without physical threat or coercion, while standing alone in his front yard, knowing there were people who had taken refuge inside,” Moriarty said.

“No one is above the law, including ICE officers,” Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said in a statement.

“Minnesota must hold its citizens accountable for breaking the law and harming Minnesotans,” Ellison said.

ICE condemned the prosecution of its agents in a statement.

“These actions by Minnesota sanctuary politicians are illegal and nothing more than a political stunt,” an ICE spokesperson told CNBC.

“Lying under oath is a serious federal crime. The U.S. Attorney’s Office is actively investigating these statements. Upon completion of the investigation, the officers face possible criminal prosecution as well as disciplinary action up to and including termination,” the spokesperson said.

“The men and women of ICE are charged with upholding the rule of law and are expected to maintain the highest standards of professionalism, integrity, and ethical behavior. Violations of this sacred oath will not be tolerated.”

Make CNBC your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted names in business news.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Putin heads to Beijing days after Trump to test China’s direction

May 18, 2026

Shooting at San Diego mosque leaves 3 men dead, 2 suspects also dead, police say

May 18, 2026

アフリカで米国人検査で陽性反応が出たことを受け、トランプ大統領はエボラ出血熱を懸念

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

The gubernatorial race is crowded: What you need to know about Oregon’s primary election | Election News

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Oregon, in the northwestern United States, has developed a reputation as a left-wing bastion. Since…

US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News

May 18, 2026

A race on the right: What to know about Idaho’s 2026 primary elections | US Midterm Elections 2026 News

May 18, 2026
Top Trending

Anthropic acquires development tools startup used by OpenAI, Google, and Cloudflare

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Anthropic announced Monday that it has acquired Stainless, a startup founded by…

Elon Musk loses lawsuit against Sam Altman and OpenAI

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Elon Musk’s claims that he was treated unfairly by OpenAI’s co-founders failed…

Amazon’s new Alexa+-powered feature lets you generate podcast episodes

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Amazon on Monday announced the latest update to Alexa+: the ability to…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.