The US president said he had postponed a planned attack on Iran following pressure from Gulf allies, as new talks gained momentum amid tensions.
Published May 19, 2026
US President Donald Trump said he had postponed plans to attack Iran at the request of the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, adding that “serious negotiations are currently underway” behind the scenes.
The comments suggest new diplomatic efforts are underway after weeks of heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian defended Iran’s participation in the talks, denying suggestions that Iran is backing down under pressure. “Dialogue does not mean surrender,” he said, adding that Iran approached the negotiations “with dignity, authority and preservation of national rights.”
Meanwhile, despite the extension of the US-brokered “ceasefire”, Israeli attacks on Lebanon continue unabated, with the death toll exceeding 3,000 and at least seven killed on Monday, according to local reports.
Here’s what we know:
in iran
The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said its forces attacked groups linked to the United States and Israel in Kurdistan’s western province near the border with Iraq. “Groups in northern Iraq are acting on behalf of the United States and the Zionist regime and are attempting to smuggle large quantities of American arms and ammunition into Iran,” the ISNA news agency said in a statement. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps said fiber optic cables passing through the Strait of Hormuz could be subject to a permit regime as the Iranian government tightens control of the waterway. “Following the imposition of control over the Strait of Hormuz, Iran may declare that all fiber optic cables passing through the waterway are subject to authorization, citing its absolute sovereignty over the floor and subsoil of its territorial waters,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a social media post. Mohsen Rezaei, a member of the Iranian Expediency Identification Council, mocked President Trump’s decision to set a deadline for a military strike on Iran and then cancel it, saying Iran has no intention of surrendering under pressure. In a post on X, he said the “iron fist” of Iran’s military and people would force the United States to “withdraw and surrender.” Major General Ali Abdullahi, commander of Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya Central Command, warned the United States and its allies against making new “strategic mistakes and miscalculations,” according to Tasnim news agency. He said Iranian forces were stronger and more prepared than before, adding that any new attack would face a “much stronger” response than previous clashes.
war diplomacy
Pakistan is playing a central role in indirect negotiations between the US and Tehran, and Iran said it had communicated its response to the latest US proposal through Islamabad. Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani also expressed support for Pakistan’s mediation efforts to resolve the crisis through diplomatic means.
in the US
The US president touted “very positive progress” in talks with Iran, assuring him that a planned military strike would be postponed. He said he had been told by allies in the Middle East that they were “very close to reaching a deal” to leave Iran without its nuclear weapons. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the United States has extended sanctions relief for 30 days for Russian oil cargoes already at sea as global energy prices continue to soar due to the war. The latest 30-day interim general permit “will provide the most vulnerable countries with the ability to temporarily access Russian crude oil currently stranded at sea,” he said in a social media post. Matt Das, executive vice president of the Center for International Policy, said President Trump’s insistence that Iran accept zero uranium enrichment made a deal impossible. In a post to Al Jazeera’s Mike Hanna, reporting from Washington, D.C., said the war has become an increasingly political issue for President Trump as Americans face rising costs of living and economic pressures related to the conflict. Mr. Hanna said that although President Trump dismissed concerns and insisted that the situation would improve once the conflict ended, many voters remained unconvinced and dissatisfaction could shape November’s midterm elections and harm Republicans at the polls. Henry Ensher, a former US ambassador to Algeria, said there was growing pressure on President Trump not to launch further attacks on Iran because “there is no adequate military option.” He told Al Jazeera that a large-scale attack “could lead to significant criticism if Iran fails to change its behavior.”
in Lebanon, Gaza and Iraq
Lebanon death toll: Israeli airstrikes have killed more than 3,000 people in Lebanon since March 2, the Health Ministry announced. The ministry stated, “The cumulative death toll from the invasion from March 2 to May 18 is as follows: 3,020 martyrs and 9,273 injured,” and announced that the deaths included 211 people under the age of 18 and 116 medical workers. Hezbollah’s drone attack on Israeli forces: The Lebanese group announced a drone attack on Israeli soldiers in the southern town of Rachakh in retaliation for deadly Israeli attacks on villages in the south. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military. Increased operations in western Iraq: Iraqi forces have carried out large-scale clearing operations in the western desert following unconfirmed reports of secret Israeli military facilities in the area. Iraqi authorities deny the existence of unauthorized foreign bases on Iraqi territory. Israeli military raids in Ramallah: Israeli forces raided several locations in Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, including the villages of al-Mughair and Abu Farah. According to Wafa news agency, clashes broke out in al-Mughair after Israeli forces fired toxic gas shells. Gaza-bound aid ship seized: Organizers of the Global Smud Frotra said Israeli forces continue to intercept Gaza-bound ships in international waters. The ship Perseverance, carrying volunteers from Australia, Belgium, Canada and France, was attacked and the crew captured. At least 47 ships were seized, with about 30 remaining at sea. Malaysia, Qatar and Turkiye condemned Israel’s actions.

