Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Cramer’s Lightning Round: Buy Devon Energy

May 19, 2026

President Trump says attack on Iran is “on hold”: What we know from the latest negotiations | President Trump says attack on Iran is “on hold” Conflict News

May 19, 2026

死者数が増加する中、WHO事務局長がエボラ熱流行の規模に警鐘を鳴らす

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » Bodies of two Italian divers recovered from sea cave in Maldives
International

Bodies of two Italian divers recovered from sea cave in Maldives

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefMay 19, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The bodies of two of the four remaining Italians who died in an underwater cave in the Maldives were recovered by divers on Tuesday, an official said, as efforts continue to retrieve the remains of the two others.

Five Italians died while exploring the Vaavu Atoll caves last week, prompting a multinational effort to locate and retrieve their remains.

That effort was briefly paused after one of the military divers attempting to locate the bodies also died, underscoring the dangers of operating tens of meters underwater. Authorities believe the death was caused by decompression sickness.

When the search resumed Monday, the divers found the bodies of the four Italians in the deepest part of the sea cave. Authorities said they planned to retrieve two of the bodies on Tuesday, and two on Wednesday.

Mohamed Hussain Shareef, the chief spokesperson for the Maldives’ government, told CNN that the two bodies – one male, one female – were found in the third chamber of the cave, and that they were being brought to the mortuary in the capital, Malé, by police.

The Italian government brought in three experienced Finnish divers to help recover the bodies, according to Maldivian state media. The Maldives National Defense Force said the divers – from the Divers Alert Network (DAN), a global scuba safety group – were specialists who had previously worked on similar missions around the world.

The Italian scuba divers were reported missing early Thursday afternoon. Later that day, the body of the diving instructor, Gianluca Benedetti, was found at the mouth of a cave.

The four others were killed Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecology at the University of Genoa; her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal; Federico Gualtieri, a marine biologist; and Muriel Oddenino, a researcher. A sixth diver decided not to enter the water, authorities said previously.

Efforts to locate the four remaining bodies were paused over the weekend after Sgt. Mohamed Mahudhee, 43, died Saturday during a second recovery mission into the cave. At its deepest point, the cave is 70 meters (230 feet) below the surface – about as deep as a 20-story building is tall – and 200 meters long.

Shareef noted that the legal depth for recreational diving in the Maldives is 30 meters (100 feet).



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

死者数が増加する中、WHO事務局長がエボラ熱流行の規模に警鐘を鳴らす

May 19, 2026

Putin’s visit to China: Russian leader scheduled to arrive for talks with Xi, days after Trump leaves office

May 18, 2026

Cuban president warns of ‘bloodshed’ if US takes military action

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

President Trump says attack on Iran is “on hold”: What we know from the latest negotiations | President Trump says attack on Iran is “on hold” Conflict News

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 19, 2026

US President Donald Trump said he had decided to suspend attacks on Iran at the…

US, Israel, scandals are the norm | Donald Trump

May 19, 2026

81st day of Iran war: President Trump postpones attack. Iranian government says it will not “surrender” | US and Israel’s war against Iran News

May 19, 2026
Top Trending

Anthropic acquires development tools startup used by OpenAI, Google, and Cloudflare

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Anthropic announced Monday that it has acquired Stainless, a startup founded by…

Elon Musk loses lawsuit against Sam Altman and OpenAI

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Elon Musk’s claims that he was treated unfairly by OpenAI’s co-founders failed…

Amazon’s new Alexa+-powered feature lets you generate podcast episodes

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026

Amazon on Monday announced the latest update to Alexa+: the ability to…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.