US President Donald Trump announced plans to deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland.
President Trump announced the surprise deployment on social media late Thursday, citing his friendship with Poland’s right-wing president Karol Nawrocki.
Recommended stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
The move comes days after plans for a deployment to Poland were apparently scrapped, deepening uncertainty over the Trump administration’s approach to NATO allies and its long-term commitment to maintaining a military presence in Europe. This makes it increasingly unclear which areas European partners should prioritize when formulating their defense strategies.
“Given the successful election of Karol Nawrocki, the current president of Poland, whom I was proud to support, and my relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland,” Trump said.
Mr Nawloki welcomed the announcement on social media.
“A good alliance is one based on cooperation, mutual respect, and a commitment to common security,” he wrote Thursday night.
Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski also welcomed the news on Friday, saying it would ensure that “the presence of US forces in Poland will be maintained more or less at the previous level.”
About the face
The announced deployment is a sudden turnaround after the United States announced plans to reduce military aid to Europe under President Trump’s “America First” doctrine.
U.S. presidents have long accused European NATO allies of not spending enough on defense. Criticism of him has grown in recent weeks as European countries criticize the US and Israel’s war on Iran and refuse to join the conflict.
A week ago, the Pentagon abruptly announced that it was canceling plans to send 4,000 troops to Poland.
Earlier this month, President Trump announced that the United States would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany following an altercation with Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who said he had been “humiliated” by Iranian negotiators.
The U.S. president later said there would be “an even bigger reduction of 5,000 people.”
Polish officials have noted that Warsaw pays large sums of money for the U.S. military presence. The suggestion of a withdrawal raises concerns about security in Poland and other parts of Europe as Russia’s war with neighboring Ukraine continues and the Trump administration has largely halted efforts to broker a ceasefire.
European countries report that they are slowly realizing the need to replace U.S. defense forces. But officials suggest the erratic policies coming out of the White House are creating confusion about which factors should be prioritized.
“It’s definitely confusing and it’s not necessarily easy to navigate,” Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmar Stenergard told reporters on Friday at a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) foreign ministers meeting, which was also attended by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
According to the Associated Press, US defense officials are also confused.
“We just spent the better part of two weeks responding to the initial announcement. We don’t even know what this means,” one official said.
“America First”
In recent months, the U.S. president has slammed other NATO members for not supporting the U.S.-Israel war against Iran, and has threatened to pull the U.S. out of the military alliance as a result.
State Department spokesman Tommy Piggott said that at Friday’s meeting of NATO foreign ministers, Mr. Rubio will discuss the need for NATO allies to increase defense spending and assume greater responsibility.
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte, who has worked hard in recent months to allay the US president’s frustrations with allies, welcomed Trump’s trip to Poland and warned that Europe needs to become less dependent on the US.
While Mr. Rubio will meet with NATO allies in Sweden, senior Pentagon officials will brief NATO allies at the alliance’s headquarters in Brussels about the U.S. commitment to defending Europe.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon announced plans to reduce the number of combat brigades based in Europe from four to three.
Many of America’s allies in Europe are unhappy with President Trump’s handling of the war with Iran, which has damaged the economy and made some European leaders question America’s credibility.
NATO countries in Europe also remain concerned about President Trump’s threat to annex Greenland, an autonomous territory of the Kingdom of Denmark, a NATO ally.
It remains unclear whether the deployment to Poland announced Thursday includes the same soldiers the Pentagon said it would no longer send to the Central European country, or whether it includes redeployments from Germany.
