The United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding in June that aims to halt hostilities, end the war on all fronts and pave the way for a “definitive agreement” within 60 days to resolve complex issues such as Iran’s nuclear program.
The 60-day period ended at midnight, but so far there has been no concrete agreement. The conflict in the Middle East has escalated with multiple flare-ups, with both sides accusing each other of violating interim agreements.
The 14-point framework was primarily brokered by Pakistan with support from other neighboring countries and was signed by US President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on June 17.
The interim agreement was concluded after more than three months of deadly conflict that severely disrupted Gulf trade, particularly oil and gas exports.
The deal included provisions such as reopening the Strait of Hormuz, easing some financial restrictions on Iran and outlining expectations for future talks on Iran’s nuclear program.
However, rifts soon arose in the dispute over the strait, and another military attack took place at the end of June.
On July 8, President Trump said the MOU was “done.”
He now risks drawing the U.S. into yet another “forever war,” as America’s arms stockpile dwindles and there is no durable solution in sight.
President Trump has made it clear that inflicting economic pain on Iran is part of the US government’s current strategy.
“We’re just looking at huge inflation in Iran and the fact that they don’t have money,” he said earlier this month.
However, the Iranian government remains resolute. On Saturday, Foreign Minister Abbas Aragushi said no decision had yet been made on whether to restart negotiations with the United States.
In response to President Trump’s recent threat to declare the strait a U.S. territory “after we defeat Iran,” Araghchi said, “You can’t take control of the strait just by tweeting.”
Although attacks between U.S. forces and Iran have paused, violence by Iranian-backed groups continues in the region.
Yemeni forces have stepped up operations against the Houthis targeting shipping hubs and US allies, while Lebanon suffered its deadliest recent day of Israeli airstrikes since a ceasefire in June.
CNN’s Alaina Treen, Ibrahim Dahman, Kevin Liptak and Nick Peyton Walsh contributed reporting.
