Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Mexican Governor Ruben Rocha takes office despite US criminal charges | Government News

August 21, 2026

Stocks with the biggest price movements at noon: WMT, DE, CRWD, MRNA, etc.

August 21, 2026

US Vice President J.D. Vance holds midterm election rally in his home state of Ohio | Donald Trump News

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » Pentagon dismisses US military newspaper leadership
Politics

Pentagon dismisses US military newspaper leadership

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefAugust 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Aerial view of the Pentagon, home to the U.S. Department of Defense headquarters, in Arlington, Virginia, on May 31, 2026.

Daniel Slim | AFP | Getty Images

The editor-in-chief of the US military newspaper Stars and Stripes announced on Friday that he had been fired for insubordination, and a person familiar with the matter confirmed to Reuters that the Pentagon had sent a notice to the paper’s leadership informing him of his dismissal.

Eric Slavin said in a statement: “According to my notice, I am being terminated because I said in an interview with CBS that hypothetical news censorship of military personnel was a personal red line that I would not cross.”

The newspaper’s longtime publisher, Max Lederer, who was scheduled to retire at the end of September, was also fired, according to a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to speak publicly.

In an email announcing his departure this week, Lederer wrote that it was clear the Pentagon had a new vision for the paper that differed from his own.

Lara Corte, who covered the Middle East for the newspaper, also said on social media on Friday that she too had been fired. She said that’s because she told CBS News she worked for Stars and Stripes, not the Department of Defense.

The Department of Defense did not respond to requests for comment.

Stars and Stripes, which has published newspapers continuously since World War II and provides news to the U.S. military around the world, receives funding from the Department of Defense but has historically been editorially independent.

The Pentagon recently appointed an undersecretary of the military to the paper’s publisher. In a post about X, Pentagon Press Secretary Sean Parnell quoted from an open letter written by the undersecretary of the military.

“While we may never be able to digitally have the same impact on military personnel as newspapers had during World War II, when the media landscape was vastly different, I believe we can do more. I also believe we must do better for our most important constituency: the men and women who make up our military,” the letter said.

During his first administration, President Donald Trump reversed a Pentagon decision to shut down the paper all together.

Press freedom advocates have criticized sweeping policy changes under the Trump administration that restricted journalists’ access to the Pentagon, saying they stifled free speech.

Never miss the most trusted news moments in business news when you choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Husted defends energy policy as Republicans warn data centers will jeopardize Ohio seat

August 21, 2026

Supreme Court approves construction of President Trump’s White House Ballroom for now

August 21, 2026

President Trump allows beef imports without tariffs

August 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

Mexican Governor Ruben Rocha takes office despite US criminal charges | Government News

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 21, 2026

Ruben Rocha Moya, the governor of Mexico’s Sinaloa state, has returned to office after facing…

US Vice President J.D. Vance holds midterm election rally in his home state of Ohio | Donald Trump News

August 21, 2026

The editor of the US newspaper Stars and Stripes has reportedly been fired under the Trump administration. media news

August 21, 2026
Top Trending

Anthropic’s Opus 4.6 is a shitty machine

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 21, 2026

Anthropic’s Claude Universal Usage Standards prohibit models from producing sexually explicit content,…

Nvidia partners with data center developer Cloverleaf

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 21, 2026

Nvidia is doing everything it can to continue to drive the AI…

Nvidia has shown that the harness, not the AI ​​model, is now the real star.

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 21, 2026

Nvidia on Friday announced interesting new research that suggests the harness is…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.