london
—
A spokesperson for Essex Police said in a statement on Wednesday that it was “assessing” information about commercial flights flying in and out of London’s Stansted Airport after the US Department of Justice released millions of documents relating to the late convicted criminal Jeffrey Epstein.
In an op-ed for the New Statesman last week, former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown called on the Metropolitan Police to “urgently” re-examine claims that Epstein’s victims were trafficked on these flights.
Brown said emails released in Epstein’s files showed a paper trail of visas, payments and transportation records showing women and girls were trafficked around the world.
He also said the files suggested a number of British girls boarded the sex offender’s private jet, dubbed the “Lolita Express”, from British airports.
“Among the many aspects that anyone looking at the email would find disturbing is that 15 of these flights were given the green light after his 2008 conviction for soliciting sexual acts from a minor. There should have been a thorough investigation into how the flights were allowed to continue,” Brown wrote.
Stansted Airport said commercial flight operations would take place through a separate, independent terminal, and immigration and customs checks would be handled by Border Force, a law enforcement arm within the Home Office.
A spokesperson for the airport said: “These are completely separate terminals not operated by London Stansted and private jet passengers do not enter the main airport terminal.”
“The airport does not control or have any knowledge of commercial airline passenger arrangements.”
CNN has contacted the UK Home Office for comment.
Stansted is referenced in more than 80 documents in files released by the Department of Justice. A redacted email from an individual to Epstein, dated November 2012, described arrangements for an unnamed Russian woman to transfer to a private plane at a London airport before traveling to the United States.
In another email a month later, Epstein asked an anonymous stranger about traveling by train from Paris to London before taking a taxi to Stansted.
Police are assessing a number of allegations that emerged from the mass document dump. This may result in further action or investigation. At least six British police forces are investigating information or assisting with investigations following the revelations within the Epstein files. These include Essex Police, as well as the Metropolitan Police, Thames Valley Police, Norfolk Police, Bedfordshire Police and Wiltshire Police.
Bedfordshire Police said in a statement on Wednesday: “We are reviewing material released as part of the Department of Justice disclosure under the Epstein File Transparency Act in relation to commercial aircraft arriving at and departing from London Luton Airport.”
In the aftermath of the Epstein file, several high-profile British figures are facing increasing scrutiny.
Thames Valley Police have announced in recent weeks that they are investigating a number of charges against disgraced former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
Police responsible for overseeing the Windsor area, where the former prince most recently lived with ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, announced earlier this month that they were investigating charges against a second woman who claims she was trafficked to the UK by Epstein in 2010 for sexual encounters with Mountbatten-Windsor.
The force revealed last week that it was also investigating whether Mr Mountbatten-Windsor had shared confidential material with Mr Epstein while the former prince was Britain’s trade envoy. Buckingham Palace later said King Charles was ready to assist police with their investigation into allegations of sharing confidential information by his brother.
Mountbatten-Windsor has previously denied any wrongdoing over her relationship with Epstein. He has not publicly responded to the latest allegations. CNN has requested comment.
The National Police Chiefs’ Council has announced that a national body has been set up to support UK police forces to “understand the potential impact” of the allegations uncovered in millions of Ministry of Justice files.
“The National Coordination Group is working with the National Crime Agency to ensure professional support for forces seeking information from foreign law enforcement agencies through approved channels,” a NPC spokesperson said in a statement.
“Due to the volume of material and the complexity of international jurisdictions, this may take some time, but police and our law enforcement partners take this matter very seriously and will thoroughly assess all information.”
Peter Mandelson, the former British ambassador to the United States, resigned from Britain’s House of Lords this month after documents emerged showing he leaked market-sensitive government information to Epstein in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis.
British police raided two properties linked to Mandelson in early February as part of an investigation into allegations of misconduct in public office. CNN has not been able to contact Mandelson’s representatives. Mandelson previously said: “I was wrong to believe (Epstein) after he was convicted and then continue my relationship with him.”
The uproar over Mandelson’s appointment, despite his known links to disgraced financiers, has also led to calls for British Prime Minister Keir Starmer to resign.
Mr Starmer said: “I have no intention of running away from my duties and responsibilities to my country or throwing us into chaos as others have done.”
Instead, chief of staff Morgan McSweeney resigned over the appointment, taking “full responsibility” for advising Mr Starmer to give Mr Mandelson the post last year.
