Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Trump exchanges blows with Democratic governors

February 17, 2026

Colombia resumes peace talks with ECG after temporary suspension | Conflict News

February 17, 2026

F1 2026: Key meetings leading up to Bahrain final test will impact power unit, leading to procedural disputes | 2026 F1 F1 News

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Home » CBS blocks Stephen Colbert from interviewing James Talarico
Politics

CBS blocks Stephen Colbert from interviewing James Talarico

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Democratic Texas Congressman James Talarico speaks at the U.S. Senate campaign launch rally on September 9, 2025 in Round Rock, Texas.

Brandon Bell | Getty Images

Stephen Colbert has accused CBS of banning him from airing an interview with Texas Congressman James Talarico, a Democrat running for U.S. Senate, on his late-night TV show.

“You know who’s not my guest tonight? That’s Texas Congressman James Talarico,” Colbert told the show’s studio audience on Monday night’s episode of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”

“He was supposed to be here, but our network’s attorney called us directly and told us in no uncertain terms that we couldn’t have him on the air,” Colbert said, drawing boos from the audience.

“Then we were told in no uncertain terms that not only could we not wear him, we could not even mention not wearing him,” Colbert said.

“And my network obviously doesn’t want me to talk about this, so let’s talk about this,” Colbert said to laughter and applause.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Wednesday, June 25, 2025.

Scott Kowalczyk | CBS | Getty Images

Colbert suggested CBS’ move was a result of concerns that the network would draw the ire of the Federal Communications Commission.

Colbert’s comments are the latest in further escalating tensions between the talk show host and the FCC after ABC briefly canceled fellow late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel’s show last summer.

Last month, the FCC issued guidance to its three broadcast networks reminding them of a 1934 law that requires networks to provide equal coverage to political candidates when their opponents appear on the air.

The guidance pointed out that there was no evidence that late-night and daytime talk show interviews were exempt from the legal exemption for “honest” reporting.

On Monday’s show, Colbert pointed to reports earlier this month that the FCC was investigating ABC’s daytime talk show “The View” because of Talarico’s appearances.

“The Late Show was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Congressman James Talarico,” CBS said in a statement to CNBC.

“The program provided legal guidance that this broadcast could trigger the FCC’s equal time provisions against two other candidates, including Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett, and presented options for how to achieve equal time for other candidates,” CBS said.

“The Late Show has decided to present the interview through its YouTube channel, with on-air promotion on air, rather than offering a same-time slot option.”

Read more CNBC’s political coverage

Talarico on Tuesday posted a link to an interview with Colbert that is available online.

“I think (President) Trump is concerned that he is trying to turn Texas upside down. This is the party that bucked cancel culture,” Talarico said in a statement provided to CNBC by his Senate campaign.

“They are now trying to control what we see, what we say, what we read,” Talarico said.

“This is the most dangerous kind of cancel culture, and the kind that comes from above. A threat to one First Amendment right is a threat to all First Amendment rights.”

Talarico is in a tight race against Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-Texas) in the Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate seat, with early voting beginning Tuesday. The winner will face the winner of the Republican primary between Sen. John Cornyn and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. The last time a Democrat won a statewide election was in Texas in 1994.

The FCC did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether CBS violated the agency’s guidance by airing Talarico’s interview.

FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez said in a statement that CBS’ decision is “yet another troubling example of corporate capitulation in the face of this administration’s widespread campaign to censor and control speech.”

“The FCC has no legal authority to pressure broadcasters for political purposes or create an atmosphere that chills free expression,” Gomez said.

“CBS is fully protected by the First Amendment to decide what interviews to air, which makes the decision to bow to political pressure all the more disappointing,” Gomez said.

“While it is no secret that Paramount, CBS’ parent company, has regulatory issues ahead of the government, corporate interests cannot justify withdrawing from broadcasting newsworthy content. The FCC has no power to impose restrictions on protected speech, and any attempt to intimidate broadcasters into self-censorship will undermine press freedom and public trust.”

“I once again urge broadcasters and their parent companies to stand firm against these unlawful pressures and continue to exercise their constitutional right to speak freely without government interference,” Gomez said.

paramount skydance launched a hostile bid against warner bros discoverya transaction that would require regulatory approval from the federal government if WBD shareholders accept the offer.

CBS announced in July that Colbert’s show would be canceled in May.

The announcement came shortly after Colbert accused the network of giving Trump what he called a “huge bribe.” Paramount Skydance earlier agreed to pay Trump’s future presidential library $16 million to settle a lawsuit over the editing of a “60 Minutes” interview with then-Vice President Kamala Harris.

A week after CBS announced it would cancel Colbert’s show, the FCC approved the $8 billion merger between Paramount and Skydance Media.

Mr. Colbert represented Mr. Kimmel in September when ABC pulled Mr. Kimmel off the air after FCC Chairman Brendan Carr said the network’s broadcast license was in jeopardy because of Mr. Kimmel’s comments about the suspect in the murder of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

Kimmel’s show returned to the air about a week later.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Trump exchanges blows with Democratic governors

February 17, 2026

Trump administration files suit to remove Stonewall Pride flag

February 17, 2026

Democrats send President Trump a counterproposal on DHS funding in response to government shutdown

February 17, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

Colombia resumes peace talks with ECG after temporary suspension | Conflict News

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Colombia’s biggest criminal organization has suspended talks after President Gustavo Petro pledged to target its…

11 killed in three US air strikes on suspected drug smuggling vessel | Donald Trump News

February 17, 2026

U.S. judge says wrongfully deported Kilmer Abrego Garcia cannot be remanded | Court News

February 17, 2026
Top Trending

Indian vibecoding startup Emergent announces over $100 million in ARR in just 8 months

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Indian vibecoding platform Emergent, founded just eight months ago, says it now…

India bids to attract more than $200 billion in AI infrastructure investment by 2028

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

India is embarking on an aggressive push to attract over $200 billion…

Here are 17 US-based AI companies that raised $100 million or more in 2026.

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Nearly 20 U.S.-based AI startups have raised more than $100 million in…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.