Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Yemeni Americans feel ‘betrayed’ after President Trump revokes immigration protections | Donald Trump News

February 17, 2026

Tiger Woods says Masters is still a possibility as 15-time major champion continues to recover | Golf News

February 17, 2026

Anthropic releases Sonnet 4.6 | Tech Crunch

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Home » Colombia resumes peace talks with ECG after temporary suspension | Conflict News
Trump

Colombia resumes peace talks with ECG after temporary suspension | Conflict News

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Colombia’s biggest criminal organization has suspended talks after President Gustavo Petro pledged to target its leader Chiquito Malo.

listen to this article | 4 minutes

information

The Colombian government has announced that it will resume peace talks with the powerful Gulf power, also known as the Gaitanist Self-Defense Forces (ECG). This is because criminal organizations have expressed concerns about the recent agreement with the United States.

Tuesday’s announcement addresses a suspension announced by the Gulf Clan earlier this month following a meeting between Colombian President Gustavo Petro and U.S. President Donald Trump.

Recommended stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

In the face of U.S. pressure to crack down on drug cartels, Petro agreed to prioritize three “kingpins” the government deemed “high-level targets.”

One of those targets was Jovis de Jesús Avila Villadiego, the leader of the Gulf clan known as Chiquito Malo.

Gulf states responded by suspending talks with the Petro government until the scope of its actions was clarified.

In a joint statement on Tuesday, the two countries said they had “overcome” all obstacles to talks.

The two leaders also explained that ongoing talks will be mediated by the Catholic Church and the governments of Qatar, Spain, Norway and Switzerland.

The Gulf Clan is one of several armed groups fighting for control of territory as part of Colombia’s 60-year civil war, which pits criminal gangs, left-wing rebels, government forces and right-wing militias against each other.

With about 9,000 fighters, the Gulf Clan is considered one of the country’s largest cartels. The United States designated the organization as a “foreign terrorist organization” in December.

President Trump urged the Petro government to take more aggressive action against drug trafficking overall. In January, Petro said he needed to “watch his attitude” and even threatened to attack Colombia.

But relations between the two leaders have cooled in recent weeks, particularly since Petro’s visit to the White House on February 3.

Previously, the Colombian government had taken a more military approach to dealing with internal conflicts. Colombia has long been considered the United States’ greatest ally in the global “war on drugs.”

But Petro, who took office in 2022, sought to take a different approach by bringing armed groups and criminal networks to the negotiating table under a program called “Total Peace.”

However, peace talks have faced a series of setbacks, particularly following the outbreak of new violence.

In January, for example, Mr. Petro granted himself emergency powers after violence erupted near the Venezuelan border between various armed groups, including the National Liberation Army (ELN).

The violence led to the suspension of peace talks with the ELN.

Petro, the country’s first leftist president, is also under pressure from the right to ensure justice is served on behalf of victims of drug trafficking.

The Colombian government has repeatedly rejected claims that it is not doing enough to stop drug trafficking in the country, historically the world’s largest producer of cocaine.

Petro points to historic drug busts, including the seizure of 14 tons of cocaine in November, as evidence of the government’s effectiveness.

Criminal networks and other groups have long fought to gain control of drug trafficking routes.

These clashes increased dramatically after a peace agreement was reached in 2016 with the leftist rebel group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), which agreed to disarm the country.

The group’s dissolution has created a power vacuum that other drug lords are trying to fill.

How to deal with Colombia’s ongoing internal conflict is expected to be a key issue in May’s elections, when the country will elect a new president. Petro is not included in the vote because he is limited by law to one consecutive term.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Yemeni Americans feel ‘betrayed’ after President Trump revokes immigration protections | Donald Trump News

February 17, 2026

Warner Bros. rejects Paramount’s latest bid, but will accept “best and final” offer | Media News

February 17, 2026

11 killed in three US air strikes on suspected drug smuggling vessel | Donald Trump News

February 17, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

Yemeni Americans feel ‘betrayed’ after President Trump revokes immigration protections | Donald Trump News

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Walid Fidama was a lifelong Democrat, but the Yemeni-American activist supported Republican candidate Donald Trump…

Warner Bros. rejects Paramount’s latest bid, but will accept “best and final” offer | Media News

February 17, 2026

Colombia resumes peace talks with ECG after temporary suspension | Conflict News

February 17, 2026
Top Trending

Anthropic releases Sonnet 4.6 | Tech Crunch

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Anthropic has released a new version of its midsize Sonnet model to…

Apple is reportedly developing three AI wearables

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Late last month, The Information reported that Apple was developing an AI…

Indian vibecoding startup Emergent announces over $100 million in ARR in just 8 months

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Indian vibecoding platform Emergent, founded just eight months ago, says it now…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.