Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Anthropic releases Sonnet 4.6 | Tech Crunch

February 17, 2026

Iran partially closes Strait of Hormuz during US nuclear negotiations

February 17, 2026

Palo Alto Networks (PANW) Q2 2026 Revenues

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Home » F1 2026: Key meetings leading up to Bahrain final test will impact power unit, leading to procedural disputes | 2026 F1 F1 News
Sports

F1 2026: Key meetings leading up to Bahrain final test will impact power unit, leading to procedural disputes | 2026 F1 F1 News

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The final test of the 2026 F1 pre-season begins on Wednesday, but the most important action of the day will probably be off the track at the Bahrain International Circuit.

Two important meetings are scheduled and the discussions could potentially have a huge impact on next season, which starts in Australia in just over two weeks.

One of these will be organized by the Power Unit Advisory Committee (PUAC), which is made up of the sport’s five engine manufacturers, the sport’s governing body the FIA, and the sport’s commercial rights holder Formula One Management (FOM).

Topping the agenda on Wednesday will be a topic that has dominated pre-season: the debate over the implementation of F1’s new engine compression ratio limiting rules.

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player


Toto Wolff supported Mercedes in the engine line and said there was support from the FIA.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said the team had FIA approval throughout the engine’s development.

The historic introduction of both a new chassis and power unit for 2026 has made this season one of the most anticipated in the history of the sport, but has also created uncertainty as to how the race will go.

The first official test in Bahrain last week raised concerns about the race, particularly over the start procedure, with calls for changes to ensure smooth operation in Melbourne on March 8.

The start issue will be taken up at another important meeting on Wednesday, the F1 Commission, which is made up of the senior representatives of the 11 teams, the FIA ​​and the FOM.

Is there a chance for a resolution to the power unit dispute?

Whispers of an engine dispute emerged at the start of the year, initially with reports that Mercedes and Red Bull had discovered a loophole in the rules that the other three power unit manufacturers (Ferrari, Honda and Audi) were complaining about.

The discussion focuses on compression ratio limits amid suggestions from rivals that both manufacturers may have found a way to achieve higher limits than those theoretically imposed by new regulations in 2026.

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player


F1: Toto Wolff criticizes 'groaning' rival | 'Excuse me before you start!'

Wolff slammed rival F1 teams for criticizing the legality of Mercedes’ new engine.

The compression ratio limit has been lowered from 18.0 in the previous ruleset to 16.0, but measurements are only taken when the engine is not operating at maximum temperature.

Red Bull engine boss Ben Hodgkinson described the row in January as “a lot of noise about nothing”, and the Milton Keynes team appeared to be aligned with Mercedes in brushing off legality issues.

Mercedes CEO Wolff was aggressive in his initial response, telling rivals to “get their mates together” and accusing them of making “excuses” before the season started.

However, by the time the first official test began in Bahrain on February 11, Wolff had taken a much more conciliatory tone, seeming to accept that there was a real possibility that Mercedes would be forced to change its power unit.

Perhaps Wolff’s position has changed due to Red Bull’s apparent change in position. Red Bull now appears to be in line with three other manufacturers lobbying the FIA ​​to ensure that compression ratios are below specified limits at all times, not just when the car is stationary for inspection.

Mercedes’ rivals believe the Silver Arrows were not running close to full capacity during the first test in Bahrain in an effort to convince the FIA ​​that a rule change was not necessary.

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player


James Bolles admitted that changes to engine rules would

Williams manager James Vowles said the change to the engine rules would “open up a can of worms”.

But it all looks set to come to a head on Wednesday. If the FIA ​​and FOM agree with the other four engine manufacturers that rule changes and clarifications are needed, they will have the “super majority” needed to force them through.

Mercedes also supplies power units to McLaren, Williams and Alpine, so such a ruling could have a negative impact on the competitiveness of all four teams ahead of the new season.

Will the race start procedure change?

The second point of contention is around the start of the race, which is the most exciting moment of Sunday for the majority of F1 fans.

There are some concerns about the challenges the new power unit will pose for drivers as they try to prepare to leave the grid.

Most teams believe that drivers need more time to prepare for lights out than is currently allowed, adding a few extra seconds to the time between when all cars are on the grid and when the start procedure begins.

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player


F1 highlights: Lewis Hamilton brings out the red flag on a lively final day!

Watch highlights from day 3 of the first Bahrain pre-season test.

The problem in this case is that Ferrari is understood to be firmly opposed to any rule changes, taking into account the technical challenges involved in power unit design.

Speaking in Bahrain on Friday, McLaren team principal Andrea Stella said adjusting the start procedure was a matter of “safety” and that it was “essential” that changes were made before the Australian Grand Prix.

Stella said: “We’re not talking about speed in qualifying, we’re not talking about race pace, we’re talking about safety on the grid.”

“There are some themes that are simply bigger than the competitive benefits. And for me, safety on the grid is something that can be achieved with simple adjustments, it’s not a no-brainer. It’s simply the greater good.”

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player


F1: Fred Vasseur downplays Ferrari hype | 'I don't think anyone else is the best'

Fred Vasseur has played down the hype surrounding Charles Leclerc’s high-speed race simulation on day two of Bahrain as he believes other teams are “not in maximum condition”.

Judging by Stella’s words, there will be strong calls for changes from some teams on Wednesday, but there is no sign of Ferrari’s stance softening.

One area where all team leaders seem to be united is that a resolution needs to be reached now, especially regarding the engine dispute.

“The most important thing now is to make a decision, because staying gray is not the solution, it has to be black and white,” Vasseur told Sky Sports F1 on Friday.

“It’s important to us, it’s important to everyone. It’s important to you guys (the media) and the fans. We want to get this out quickly.”

Sky Sports F1 Bahrain test schedule

Test 2: Wednesday 18th, Thursday 19th, Friday 20th February

6:50am to 11:05am: Morning session live 11:55am to 4:10pm: Afternoon session live 8pm: Test lap

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, including the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8. Stream Sky Sports now – cancel anytime with no contract



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

England vs. Ireland: Henry Pollock opens Test start, Maro Itoje earns 100th Six Nations cap | Rugby Union News

February 17, 2026

Bukayo Saka contract: Arsenal winger signs new five-year contract to stay at club until 2031 | Soccer News

February 17, 2026

Ronda Rousey announces surprise return to mixed martial arts: ‘This is for all MMA fans past, present and future’ WWE News

February 17, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

Warner Bros. rejects Paramount’s latest bid, but will accept “best and final” offer | Media News

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Warner Bros. Discovery, home to major series such as Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and…

Colombia resumes peace talks with ECG after temporary suspension | Conflict News

February 17, 2026

11 killed in three US air strikes on suspected drug smuggling vessel | Donald Trump News

February 17, 2026
Top Trending

Anthropic releases Sonnet 4.6 | Tech Crunch

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Anthropic has released a new version of its midsize Sonnet model to…

Apple is reportedly developing three AI wearables

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Late last month, The Information reported that Apple was developing an AI…

Indian vibecoding startup Emergent announces over $100 million in ARR in just 8 months

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 17, 2026

Indian vibecoding platform Emergent, founded just eight months ago, says it now…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.