Chelsea head coach Liam Rosenior said anyone found guilty of racism in football “should not be playing in the game”.
On Tuesday, Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior temporarily refused to return to the pitch after claiming he was racially abused by Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Portugal have since defended the player, claiming there is a “defamation campaign” against him, with manager Jose Mourinho accusing Vinicius of sparking the incident by celebrating his goal.
Prestiani denies racially abusing Brazilian players, but if found guilty he could be banned from European competition for at least 10 games.
UEFA has appointed an Ethics and Discipline Inspector to investigate the incident, but Sky Sports News reported that the process could take up to three weeks to complete.
Although Rosenior did not comment directly on the matter, he believes authorities should take a firmer stance against racism.
“It’s infuriating,” he said. “There is a context to this situation that needs to be understood. What I am saying is that we cannot tolerate any form of racism in our society. I cannot speak on a case where an investigation is ongoing.”
“What I’m saying is that when you see players who are upset like Vinicius Junior was upset, usually they are upset for a reason. I myself have experienced racial abuse.
“What people need to understand is that when you’re criticized for something you should be proud of, it’s the worst feeling imaginable. Racism has a historical context.
“As the manager of this club, I need to make a statement on this matter.
“If a coach, player or manager is found guilty of racism, they shouldn’t be in the game. That’s a no-brainer for me.”
Rosenior, who is of mixed heritage, wrote an open letter to US President Donald Trump in June 2020, days after the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, an incident that was published in the Guardian newspaper and helped fuel the global Black Lives Matter movement. In it, he cited America’s “unjust, corrupt and fundamentally biased society” as part of a legacy of centuries of racism.
Ahead of Chelsea’s home match against Burnley in the Premier League on Saturday, he returned to the theme of wider discrimination in society.
During last week’s FA Cup away game against Hull, home supporters could be heard shouting homophobic slurs at visiting fans.
Tuesday’s incident was not the first time Vinicius has been the victim of racist abuse. He has repeatedly spoken out against the racism he has suffered inside stadiums, saying in November 2024: “I play in Spain, where I have suffered a lot and am still suffering.”
In June of the same year, three Valencia fans were sentenced to eight months in prison for racially assaulting Vinicius during a La Liga match in May 2023, in the first sentence of its kind in Spain.
“This is a very complex situation,” Rosenior said. “When we talk about discrimination and race and gender.
“There are a lot of things that need to change in our society. I’m not talking about football. There’s a lot of division. There are a lot of people in the media who judge people with prejudice based on their sexual orientation, what country they’re from, what their religion is, what their skin color is.
“Honestly, it’s disgusting. This is a broader discussion than just football. To make sure these problems are eradicated, people need to be held accountable for much more than social media and the press.
“Everyone should be judged equally on the content of his character.”
Real Madrid submits ‘all available evidence’ to UEFA over Vinicius racism scandal
Real Madrid have announced that they have submitted “all available evidence” to UEFA as the club investigates allegations of racism by forward Vinicius Junior.
UEFA announced on Wednesday that it had opened a disciplinary investigation into the incident during the match, and Real have now released an update.
“Real Madrid CF announces today that it has provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incident that occurred during our team’s Champions League game against SL Benfica in Lisbon on Tuesday, February 17,” a club statement said.
“The club has actively co-operated with the investigation launched by UEFA following the unacceptable incident of racism experienced during that match.
“Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and love that our player Vinicius Junior has received from all sectors of world football.
“Real Madrid remains committed to working with all institutions to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and society.”






