Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Mortgage interest rates fall to monthly lowest level, increasing demand for refinancing

February 18, 2026

Figma (FIG) 2025 Q4 Earnings Report

February 18, 2026

FCC rejects censorship claims, announces investigation into US show ‘The View’ Entertainment News

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
WhistleBuzz – Smart News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends
Home » President Trump releases overdue funds for New York-New Jersey Gateway tunnel construction: Hochul
Politics

President Trump releases overdue funds for New York-New Jersey Gateway tunnel construction: Hochul

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


October 23, 2025, at the Gateway Tunnel site near West 30th Street and 11th Avenue in Hudson Yards, Manhattan.

Barry Williams | New York Daily News | Getty Images

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said Wednesday that the Trump administration has released remaining funds it had set aside for construction of a major rail tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey.

Hochul said in a statement that the federal government has provided free of charge the remaining $98 million owed for the Gateway project, which increases passenger rail capacity to Manhattan, and an additional $30 million in reimbursement for work completed in January.

The frozen funds were released in phases over nearly two weeks after a federal judge blocked the Trump administration’s withholding of funds for projects scheduled to break ground in 2023. Following the Feb. 6 order, the administration released $30 million on Feb. 13, followed by another $77 million earlier this week.

The funding cut, which began on the eve of the Oct. 1 government shutdown, caused a complete shutdown this month and threatened the jobs of about 1,000 employees.

The Democratic governor said in a statement Wednesday that contractors have been directed to prepare to resume construction next week.

“Today’s progress is important, but we need certainty that Gateway funding will continue for the duration of the project,” Hochul said. “The federal government has a legal obligation to fully fund Gateway, and New York State will not accept anything less.”

Read more CNBC’s political coverage

Just two days ago, President Donald Trump denounced the project as “future profiteering” and claimed in a post on Truth Social that it would cost “billions of dollars more than predicted or anticipated.”

Trump claimed the federal government was not responsible for cost overruns related to the $16 billion project.

In the same post, he denied reports that he had offered to waive federal funding for Gateway in exchange for New York’s Penn Station being renamed after him. The station was named after its builder and original occupant, the Pennsylvania Railroad.

“These funds should never have been withheld in the first place,” said New York Attorney General Letitia James, who sued the Trump administration along with New Jersey Acting Attorney General Jennifer Davenport.

“I’m excited to get hardworking New Yorkers back to work and move forward on some of our nation’s most important infrastructure projects,” James said in a press release. “We will remain vigilant to ensure this funding continues uninterrupted to ensure that workers and commuters are not once again left in the lurch by the President’s targeted and illegal whims.”

The Hudson River Tunnel project is the most important part of the Gateway program, which aims to renovate a large amount of public infrastructure in New York and New Jersey.

The existing rail tunnel, known as the North River Tunnel, carries 200,000 passengers under the Hudson River each day. Officials say it was built 116 years ago and was in need of restoration even before it was severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

The Gateway project will rehabilitate the existing tunnel and create a new rail tunnel with two tracks connecting to Penn Station.

The federal government and the states of New York and New Jersey are funding the tunnel project. Amtrak is also committing more than $1 billion to the project.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

President Trump stokes election access fire as Republicans back voter ID mandate

February 18, 2026

Trump family says US dollar needs an upgrade, and it’s possible

February 18, 2026

Having cryptocurrency rules is ‘very important’

February 18, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

FCC rejects censorship claims, announces investigation into US show ‘The View’ Entertainment News

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 18, 2026

listen to this article | 5 minutesinformationFederal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Brendan Carr confirmed that…

US withdraws all 1,000 troops from Syria: WSJ report | Syria War News

February 18, 2026

White House says Iran would be ‘wise’ to reach deal amid military buildup | Donald Trump News

February 18, 2026
Top Trending

Google Cloud’s VP of Startups talks about how to read the ‘check engine light’ before it’s too late

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 18, 2026

Startup founders are being asked to leverage AI to move faster than…

Kana emerges from stealth with $15 million raised to build flexible AI agent for marketers

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 18, 2026

Marketing is one of the few functions that no industry can ignore.…

Google adds music generation function to Gemini app

By Editor-In-ChiefFebruary 18, 2026

Google announced Wednesday that it is adding music generation functionality to its…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.