The US president said at the first Peace Commission summit that the US and Tehran should reach a “meaningful deal”.
listen to this article2 minutes
information
President Donald Trump has renewed his threats against Iran, suggesting Tehran has about 10 days to reach a deal with Washington or face further military attacks.
At the first peace commission meeting in Washington, DC, on Thursday, the US president reiterated his claim that last June’s joint Israeli and US attack on Iran paved the way for a “ceasefire” in the Gaza Strip.
Recommended stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
President Trump claimed that without the U.S. attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities, regional countries would not have been able to agree to “peace in the Middle East” because of Iran’s “threat.”
“So now we may or may not need to take another step forward,” Trump said. “Maybe we can come to an agreement. We’ll probably know within the next 10 days.”
President Trump’s comments came days after the United States and Iran held a second round of indirect talks.
On Wednesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in Geneva that the two countries had made “good progress in negotiations” and “were able to reach an agreement in principle on a set of guidelines” for a deal.
But the United States continues to accumulate military assets in the Gulf region, including two aircraft carriers and dozens of fighter jets.
Iran denies developing nuclear weapons but has said it would agree to curb uranium enrichment and subject it to strict international inspections.
But the Trump administration has said it opposes any enrichment by Iran. The U.S. government is also trying to put limits on Iran’s missile forces, but Iranian officials deny any concessions, saying the issue is a non-negotiable defense principle.
On Thursday, President Trump said his diplomatic aides Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner had “very good talks” with Iranian representatives.
“We have to have a meaningful agreement, otherwise bad things will happen,” he said.
President Trump said last week that the United States and Iran need to reach a deal “within the next month” and warned Iran of “very shocking” consequences.
However, Iranian officials expressed defiance of the US president’s threats.
“The Americans have always said that they have sent warships to Iran. Of course, warships are dangerous military equipment,” Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei wrote on Thursday X.
“But what’s more dangerous than the warship is the weapon that can send it to the bottom of the ocean.”
Tensions between Washington and Tehran have escalated since late 2025, when Trump, who was hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in December, vowed to attack Iran again if it tried to rebuild its nuclear and missile programs.
Days later, anti-government protests erupted in Iran. President Trump encouraged protesters to occupy state institutions and promised “help is on the way.”
President Trump appears to have stepped back from the brink of attacking Iran last month, saying Iran had agreed to halt executions of dissidents under pressure from the United States.
The two countries then resumed negotiations, and the first talks since the June War were held in Oman on February 6.
However, despite ongoing diplomacy, threats and hostile rhetoric between Washington and Tehran continue.
During his first term in 2018, President Trump abandoned a multilateral nuclear deal that curtailed Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions on Iran’s economy.
