Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

War between America and Cuba? Why Mr. Castro’s indictment could doom any chance of an agreement to avoid armed conflict

May 20, 2026

NanoClaw creator turns down $20 million acquisition offer, raises $12 million in seed instead

May 20, 2026

Nvidia (NVDA) Q1 2027 Earnings Report: Live Updates

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » US expected to announce criminal charges against Cuba’s Raul Castro
Politics

US expected to announce criminal charges against Cuba’s Raul Castro

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefMay 20, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Former Cuban President Raul Castro waves the Cuban flag during a May Day commemoration ceremony to commemorate International Workers’ Day at Plaza de la Revolucion in Havana on May 1, 2025.

Yamil Raji | AFP | Getty Images

The Trump administration is expected to announce criminal charges against former Cuban President Raul Castro on Wednesday, in a move marking an intensification of Washington’s pressure campaign against the Caribbean island’s communist government.

The charges against Mr. Castro, 94, are expected to stem from the 1996 incident in which a Cuban military jet shot down a plane operated by a group of Cuban exiles, a U.S. Justice Department official told Reuters last week on condition of anonymity.

The Miami U.S. Attorney’s Office will hold an event to honor the victims of the incident starting at 1:00 pm EDT (5:00 pm GMT). The Justice Department said Tuesday it would make the announcement in conjunction with the ceremony, but did not provide details of the announcement.

President Donald Trump is seeking regime change in Cuba, which has been ruled by communists since Raul Castro’s late brother Fidel Castro led a revolution in 1959.

The United States has effectively shut down the island by threatening sanctions on countries that supply it with fuel, causing power outages and hurting its already fragile economy.

Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez expressed resistance in public comments on May 15, but Cuba has yet to comment directly on the threat of prosecution.

“Despite (US) embargoes, sanctions, and threats of military force, Cuba continues on its sovereign path toward socialist development,” Rodriguez said.

come help my brothers

Born in 1931, Raul Castro became a key figure along with his brother in the guerrilla war that overthrew the U.S.-backed dictator Fulgencio Batista.

He helped defeat the US-organized Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961 and served as defense minister for decades. He succeeded his brother as president and remains an influential figure behind the scenes in Cuban politics.

At the time of the 1996 incident, he was the Minister of Defense.

The two small planes that were shot down were operated by Brothers to the Rescue, a group of Cuban exile pilots based in Miami. All four men on board were killed.

The group said its mission was to search for Cuban rafters fleeing the island in the Florida Straits, and it regularly flies near the Cuban coast.

The Cuban government maintains that the airstrike was a legitimate response to aircraft intruding into Cuban airspace. Fidel Castro said the Cuban military acted on a “standing order” to shoot down any aircraft entering Cuban airspace. He said Raul Castro had not given any specific orders to shoot at the plane.

The United States condemned the attack and imposed sanctions, but did not bring criminal charges against the Castro brothers. The Justice Department indicted three Cuban military officers in 2003, but they were not extradited.

The International Civil Aviation Organization later concluded that the downing took place in international waters.

President Trump: “Cuba is next”

The filing of criminal charges against U.S. adversaries like Castro would be reminiscent of previous drug-trafficking indictments of Havana’s ally and imprisoned former Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro.

The Trump administration cited the indictment as justification for the Jan. 3 raid in Caracas by U.S. forces, during which President Maduro was captured and taken to New York to face charges. He pleaded not guilty.

President Trump has described Cuba’s communist government as corrupt and threatened in March that Cuba would be “next” after Venezuela.

Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said Monday that any U.S. military action against Cuba would lead to “bloodshed” and said the island was not a threat.

Never miss the most trusted news moments in business news when you choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Taiwan was central in Xi’s meeting with Trump — but not with Putin

May 20, 2026

President Trump sued by police officers to block Justice Department legal fund on January 6th

May 20, 2026

Barney Frank, the architect of groundbreaking Wall Street reform, dies at 86

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

Massey Defeats: Israel Lobby’s Disastrous Victory in Kentucky | Donald Trump

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 20, 2026

U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie lost the Republican primary on Tuesday after the most expensive and…

Trump critic Massie loses: Lessons learned from the US primary election results | 2026 US midterm election news

May 20, 2026

Jones and Jackson head to Georgia Republican primary runoff for governor | 2026 US midterm election news

May 20, 2026
Top Trending

NanoClaw creator turns down $20 million acquisition offer, raises $12 million in seed instead

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 20, 2026

NanoCo, the company behind NanoClaw, a security-focused alternative to OpenClaw, has raised…

Stability AI releases new audio model that can create 6-minute songs

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 20, 2026

Stability AI, the company behind Stable Diffusion, releases a new audio model…

AI search startups are growing explosively

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 20, 2026

Yesterday’s big news was Google’s plan to disrupt traditional search in favor…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.