Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Erin Patterson: How a crowded hotel could lead to the retrial of an Australian mushroom killer

August 20, 2026

Kramer’s shocking statement: “I’m going to say no” to United Microelectronics

August 20, 2026

Iran adviser disputes President Trump’s claim that economy is collapsing

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » President Trump says cutting back on US-South Korea exercises poses more risks than joint military readiness
Politics

President Trump says cutting back on US-South Korea exercises poses more risks than joint military readiness

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefAugust 20, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


SEOUL, South Korea – August 7: (L-R) Col. Lee Sung-joon, Director of Public Affairs of the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Col. Ryan Donald, Director of Public Affairs for United Nations Command (UNC), Combined Forces Command (CFC), and U.S. Forces Korea (U.S. Forces Korea), bump fists during a press conference for Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield 2025 at the Ministry of Defense on August 7. 2025, Seoul, South Korea. The 11-day Freedom Shield is part of an annual joint training exercise between South Korean and U.S. militaries. (Photo provided by Jung Sung-joon/Getty Images)

Jung Sung Joon | Getty Images News | Getty Images

President Donald Trump’s move to drastically scale back U.S.-South Korea military exercises will not only affect the combat readiness of both countries but also undermine the credibility of the U.S. commitment to the alliance.

Lieutenant General Chun In-beom, former commander of the South Korean Special Warfare Forces, said bluntly: “Cutting down joint exercises like Ulchi Freedom Shield while the North Korean military is gaining combat experience in Ukraine will create a dangerous operational disconnect.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said earlier this month that North Korea would send up to 50,000 more troops to support Moscow, pointing to the gradual increase in North Korean troops deployed to Kiev.

The Ulchi Freedom Shield joint exercise, which began on August 17th, will end on Friday, ahead of the original schedule of August 27th.

The amendments came after President Trump ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “drastically scale back” joint exercises with South Korea “so as not to send a completely inappropriate and hostile signal” to North Korea, a move said to have caught South Korea by surprise.

South Korean and U.S. soldiers pose for a photo after a live-fire exercise at the Pocheon Military Training Range as part of the annual South Korean-U.S. Freedom Shield joint military exercise, March 14, 2024. (Photo provided by: JUNG YEON-JE/​​POOL/AFP) (Photo provided by: JUNG YEON-JE/​​POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Jung Young Jae | AFP | Getty Images

Chung said the North Korean military has refined modern tactics such as drone warfare, electronic warfare and artillery integration in real-world combat situations, and the U.S.-South Korea alliance relies on large-scale exercises to stress-test systems and adapt to these evolving threats.

“Restricting readiness testing to political gestures weakens joint countermeasures and undermines deterrence, just as our adversary’s battlefield proficiency expands,” he said.

However, U.S. officials told Reuters that the reduction in training would not compromise U.S. training objectives and that important readiness and training objectives would be maintained.

reliability is questionable

While the immediate effect will be a decline in the combat readiness of allied forces, experts say Trump’s move will also begin to raise questions about the credibility of the U.S. commitment to the alliance.

At a time when confidence in the United States’ security efforts is already nearing one of its lowest points in recent history,[this move]seriously undermines that credibility.

Rami Kim

Korean Chair of Advanced Technology, National Security and Defense, IISS

“This seriously undermines the credibility of the U.S. security effort at a time when it is already nearing one of its lowest points in recent history,” said Rami Kim, chair of Korea Advanced Technology, National Security and Defense at the International Institute for Strategic Studies.

Speaking at the White House on Wednesday, President Trump hardened his stance, saying the joint exercise was “a very insulting insult to someone who, frankly, has been very well-behaved, at least during my term.”

This is not the first time President Trump has canceled joint exercises with North Korea in an effort to improve relations with North Korea. During his first term, the US president suspended military exercises while negotiations with North Korea continued.

Yeoju County, South Korea – August 27: U.S. and South Korean soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Division participate in a river crossing exercise as part of Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield, August 27, 2025 in Yeoju County, South Korea. The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise is a regular joint military exercise between the U.S. and South Korean militaries to prepare for potential emergencies on the Korean Peninsula. (Photo provided by Jeon Sung-joon/Getty Images)

Jung Sung Joon | Getty Images News | Getty Images

Kim’s opinion is echoed by Henry Haggard, a former US diplomat based in Seoul. Haggard said the move could raise concerns among allies about the predictability and reliability of alliance guarantees with the United States.

Haggard said: “Given that Ukraine, Iran…some allies, South Korea among them, are having a hard time understanding the US position on Russia, North Korea and even China, this announced reduction looks like a bad strategic move overall.”

However, some experts see the reduction in military exercises as a positive move, suggesting that if joint exercises are escalating tensions, reducing them should reduce the likelihood of conflict.

Jennifer Kavanaugh, senior fellow and director of military analysis at Defense Priorities, told CNBC that reducing the number of military exercises could create a more stable and less hostile military environment for both the United States and South Korea.

He said that when the United States conducts military exercises in Asia, “countries such as China and North Korea respond by increasing their military activities in the region, conducting their own exercises, and testing new weapons and missiles.”

There will be no immediate concessions from North Korea on reducing drills, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, said on Thursday: “If the US calculates that it can promote its recent actions as so-called good faith, then it will not get the answer it wants.” She is also the chairman of the Central Committee of North Korea’s ruling party.

He added that North Korea is paying more attention to the fact that the drills are already taking place, rather than reducing them. “We rightly see that this is a clear display of hostility.”

Make CNBC your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted names in business news.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Iran adviser disputes President Trump’s claim that economy is collapsing

August 20, 2026

President Trump declares ‘economic war’ on Iran, threatens supporters

August 19, 2026

Bessent moves to curb U.S. bond yields, putting pressure on Warsh’s Fed

August 19, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

US national debt exceeds record high of $40 trillion | Business and Economic News

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 19, 2026

The United States’ total debt has exceeded $40 trillion for the first time, raising concerns…

US military newspaper publisher resigns due to disagreement with government | Donald Trump News

August 19, 2026

Pentagon asks NATO allies about political loyalty, documents reveal | NATO News

August 19, 2026
Top Trending

Cognition CEO denies reports that SpaceX was trying to acquire the startup

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 19, 2026

Elon Musk’s SpaceX has attempted to acquire AI coding startup Cognition in…

OpenAI aims to surpass Anthropic with new customer privacy protections

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 19, 2026

As AI models become more powerful, the potential for them to be…

Stripe didn’t actually buy OpenRouter due to “singularity”

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 19, 2026

Stripe confirmed Wednesday that it will acquire OpenRouter. The company did not…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.