Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

PGA Championship: Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler missed opportunity to challenge for Aaron Rye’s major win | Golf News

May 18, 2026

European Market: Stoxx 600, FTSE, DAX, Iran Latest Information, UK News,

May 18, 2026

LPGA Tour: England’s Lottie Ward holds on to win Kroger Queen City Championship after eventful final round in Ohio | Golf News

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » Ebola: Global efforts to contain new outbreak as US seeks to relocate ‘minority’ of affected citizens
International

Ebola: Global efforts to contain new outbreak as US seeks to relocate ‘minority’ of affected citizens

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefMay 18, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


International efforts are underway to contain the Ebola outbreak that has infected hundreds and killed dozens in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, with the United States considering relocating a “small number” of affected nationals.

The World Health Organization on Sunday declared the Ebola outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern.” Although the latest outbreak does not yet meet the criteria for a “pandemic emergency,” high positivity rates and rising numbers of infections and deaths across health regions indicate “the potential for a much larger outbreak than what is currently being detected and reported,” the WHO warned.

The United Nations health agency said at least 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported in DRC’s remote north-eastern Ituri province as of Saturday. In neighboring Uganda, WHO reported that two laboratory-confirmed cases (including one death) have so far been reported in the capital Kampala.

The WHO says the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain, one of several viruses that can cause Ebola. The WHO called the outbreak an “extraordinary situation” as there is currently no approved treatment or vaccine specific to the Bundibugyo virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Sunday that it is assisting interagency partners in efforts to relocate “a small number of Americans directly affected” by the outbreak. This comes after health news outlet STAT reported on Sunday that several Americans in the Democratic Republic of Congo are believed to have been exposed to the virus, including some who are considered high risk.

CNN was unable to independently verify the report and has reached out to the CDC and the U.S. State Department for comment.

Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, declined on Sunday to say whether any Americans were among the infected. He told a news conference that the CDC is “actively evaluating the situation on the ground and does not intend to comment on the disposition of any individuals.”

The CDC said it was already dedicating resources from the agency’s offices around the country to support efforts such as surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing, and would mobilize additional support from the agency’s headquarters in Atlanta.

Pillai said the CDC is not aware of any infections on international flights, noting that both countries have exit screening measures in place to prevent the spread of the virus through travel.

International coordination is being stepped up to prevent the spread of the disease as experts warn of a “very worrying” situation.

About seven tons of emergency medical supplies, including protective equipment, tents and beds, arrived in Bunia, the capital of Ituri region, on Sunday to “support the scale-up of front-line response operations,” the WHO said.

Non-governmental organizations such as Médecins Sans Frontières and Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) are also preparing to launch a large-scale response as soon as possible.

Complicating the response is that this outbreak is occurring on top of a humanitarian crisis. Conflict in the eastern provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has displaced millions of people and weakened the health system.

In Uganda, there is no known link between the two confirmed cases in Kampala, which is “often a warning sign that the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is larger than health authorities currently realize,” Adrian Esterman, professor and chair of biostatistics at the University of Adelaide, said in a statement.

The suspected deaths include four health workers, the WHO said.

Dr Matt Mason, senior lecturer at the University of the Sunshine Coast’s School of Health, said this “raises serious concerns about gaps in infection prevention and control and the potential for spread of infection within health facilities that connect to the wider community”.

According to the WHO, this is the 17th Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo since the virus was first identified in 1976.

According to MSF, the mortality rate for the Bundibugyo strain is estimated to be 25-40%.

Symptoms of Ebola include fever, muscle pain, and rash. The virus is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as handling contaminated materials or people who have died from the disease.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Guns are shown on TV and in the streets of Iran as President Trump threatens war again

May 17, 2026

Nine out of 10 households in China own a home. But are dreams of real estate ownership being put to the test?

May 17, 2026

Severe storms with severe tornadoes possible across central U.S. into Monday

May 17, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

President Trump holds prayer rally to ‘rededicate’ America as ‘one nation under God’ | Donald Trump News

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 17, 2026

The administration of President Donald Trump hosted a nine-hour prayer event on the National Mall…

‘Nothing left’: President Trump threatens Iran amid stalled negotiations | Government News

May 17, 2026

U.S. college graduates face tough job market amid economic uncertainty | Education News

May 17, 2026
Top Trending

Why trust is a big issue in the Elon Musk and OpenAI trial

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 17, 2026

Lawyers for Elon Musk and OpenAI will make closing arguments this week,…

Apple’s Siri revamp could include automatic chat deletion

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 17, 2026

According to Bloomberg’s Mark Garman, privacy will be a major theme when…

TechCrunch Mobility: The AI ​​skills arms race has arrived in the auto industry

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 17, 2026

Welcome to TechCrunch Mobility. A central hub for news and insight on…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.