Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Runlayer and Rippling drop lawsuit – but turmoil still holds lesson for founders

August 20, 2026

Mr. Bessent’s efforts in the U.S. Treasury market have so far been unsuccessful. Here’s what else he can try

August 20, 2026

Genesis GV90: Hyundai unveils new all-electric flagship SUV

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » Bessent: US likely not to resume fighting due to Iranian economic attack
Politics

Bessent: US likely not to resume fighting due to Iranian economic attack

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefAugust 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told CNBC on Thursday that the Trump administration’s plan to destroy Iran’s economy likely eliminates the need for a large-scale American military operation against the Islamic Republic.

“If we’re applying maximum economic pressure, that means there’s probably not going to be a large-scale reopening of the economy,” Bessent said in an exclusive interview with Squawk on the Street.

The Chief Cabinet Secretary’s comments came hours after President Donald Trump declared on Truth Social that the United States plans to cripple Iran’s economy by imposing significant economic sanctions on countries that provide “all kinds of lifelines” to Iran.

“This will be an economic D-Day, and we will need all of our allies to work with the United States to isolate and defeat the Iranian threat,” Trump said in a post Wednesday night.

The announcement comes as the war with Iran nears its six-month mark, with no indication that the United States is nearing a diplomatic or military victory.

Oil prices rose following a CNBC interview with Bessent in which the US vowed to create “the greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world” against Iran.

He said he will hold a press conference on Monday to “talk specifically about what we will do.”

Read more CNBC’s politics and policy coverage

In a preview of the plan, he said the United States would tell all allies: “You’re either with us or you’re against us.”

“If you insist on doing business with[Iran]sending money, buying oil, shipping by sea, the U.S. Treasury Department and the U.S. government … will do everything in their power to enforce against you,” Bessent said.

“The time has come for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision,” he said. “We are going to crush this murderous regime’s economy.”

He also dismissed initial skepticism about the plan, arguing that the economic pressure campaign would work in tandem with the ongoing U.S. Navy blockade of Iranian ports in the Gulf of Oman.

“It’s a one-two punch. We have a lockdown and we will impose the toughest sanctions in history,” he said.

“We are going to bring down this system,” he added.

President Trump has repeatedly asserted that the United States has already effectively destroyed Iran’s military and economy, and in a post on Truth Social on Wednesday night, claimed that Iran is “in a corner” and “hanging on a thread.”

Indeed, while Iran’s GDP is thought to have shrunk during the war, the country’s inflation has soared to historically high levels. However, some experts still caution against thinking that Iran’s economy is facing imminent collapse.

Iran also continues to exploit its ability to wreak havoc in the Strait of Hormuz, a waterway that carried 20% of global oil trade before the war began.

Despite increasing pressure from the United States and other regional powers, tanker transits through the strait remain significantly reduced. The United Arab Emirates announced on Wednesday it would suspend all trade with Iran after facing new ballistic missile attacks.

Never miss the most trusted news moments in business news when you choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Warsh faces Fed independence test as Bessent moves into central bank turf

August 20, 2026

Iran adviser disputes President Trump’s claim that economy is collapsing

August 20, 2026

President Trump says cutting back on US-South Korea exercises poses more risks than joint military readiness

August 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

First group of US deportees arrives in Liberia of expected 1,200 | Donald Trump News

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 20, 2026

Published August 20, 2026August 20, 2026The first group of deportees, expected to total 1,200 people,…

US Treasury Secretary says new economic measures will cause Iran to ‘collapse’ | US and Israel’s war against Iran News

August 20, 2026

North Korea launches ballistic missile as US-South Korea exercises near end | Military News

August 20, 2026
Top Trending

Runlayer and Rippling drop lawsuit – but turmoil still holds lesson for founders

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 20, 2026

On Wednesday night, Lanlayer and Rippling withdrew their respective lawsuits. No settlement…

Google gives publishers a new way to fight traffic loss with AI

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 20, 2026

As AI continues to kill traffic to websites, Google on Thursday gave…

Inertia Enterprises finds a way to speed up fusion fuel

By Editor-In-ChiefAugust 20, 2026

Fusion startup Inertia Enterprises says it has found a way to cut…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.