The US president also said he could attack Iran again if there is no progress on a ceasefire within “a few days.”
Published May 19, 2026
US President Donald Trump said Chinese leader Xi Jinping had committed to not sending weapons to Iran during the war.
Tuesday’s statement was issued after President Trump returned from a three-day visit to China last week. Since then, the US president has praised several trade deals, but no significant progress has been made in the US-Israel war against Iran.
Recommended stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
It also comes as Russian President Vladimir Putin arrives on his own visit to China, continuing a long-standing strategic partnership with Beijing that has long caused anxiety in Washington. Moscow has also provided weapons to Iran for many years.
“President Xi promised not to send any weapons to Iran. That’s a great promise. I believe President Xi at his word,” Trump told reporters at an event at the construction site of the White House ballroom.
He added that Xi wants the Strait of Hormuz to be opened “just like I do.”
President Trump and his administration officials sent conflicting messages ahead of the president’s visit to China, suggesting they expected China to use its influence with Iran to help achieve a more permanent ceasefire while downplaying the idea that war would be a major topic on the agenda with Xi.
There is little indication that China, which has largely avoided further involvement since the meeting, will take a more active role.
President Trump: “The US may attack Iran again”
President Trump spoke shortly after making new threats against Iran, saying in a social media post that “the clock is ticking” to reach a more permanent ceasefire beyond the pause in fighting that has been in place since April 8.
President Trump said Monday that he was “putting the planned attack on hold.”
He said the decision was taken at the request of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, adding that “serious negotiations are currently underway.”
Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency also reported on Monday that Iran had submitted a revised 14-point peace plan to end the war, although details were not immediately made public.
President Trump spoke about plans to attack Iran on Tuesday, telling reporters: “We have an hour left before we decide to attack today.”
President Trump said he had agreed to give Iran a few “days” to return to negotiations.
“It could be a limited time event, perhaps on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or even early next week,” he said.
“We may need to take another big hit. We don’t know yet,” he added.
Meanwhile, Ebrahim Azizi, head of Iran’s parliament’s National Security Committee, claimed that Trump was not motivated by negotiations but by fear of Iran’s response to new attacks.
He said any new attack by the United States would “face a decisive military response and national unity.”
“The only language he understands is power,” he added.

