Democratic lawmakers slammed the move, which follows the creation of a controversial “anti-weaponization fund.”
Published May 20, 2026
US President Donald Trump, his family, and his companies have been granted immunity from ongoing tax audits, according to a Department of Justice directive.
Tuesday’s move came in addition to President Trump’s agreement a day earlier to settle a $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over leaking tax information to news organizations from 2018 to 2020.
Recommended stories
list of 4 itemsend of list
In a one-page document signed by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, the Justice Department said its authorities are “permanently enjoined and enjoined” from “prosecuting or pursuing” tax claims against President Trump, his family, and his businesses.
The document, posted on the Justice Department’s website without an official announcement or press release, says the exemption applies to investigations that are “currently or potentially pending,” including those related to tax returns filed by President Trump before Monday’s settlement.
Democratic lawmakers immediately condemned the move.
California Sen. Adam Schiff accused the Trump administration of engaging in corruption and “self-dealing.”
“Thanks to Todd Blanche, a tax-evading president was given a tax break for himself and his entire family,” Schiff said on social media.
Richard Painter, who served as the White House’s chief ethics lawyer under former President George W. Bush, said exempting Trump from paying his taxes would be unconstitutional.
Painter told Al Jazeera: “If the president or his family borrows money from the Internal Revenue Service, this violates the Household Allowance Clause of the U.S. Constitution, which states that the president cannot receive any benefits or benefits from the U.S. government other than his salary appropriated by Congress.”
The Justice Department and the Trump Organization did not respond to requests for comment.
The Justice Department’s order marks a dramatic expansion of President Trump’s settlement agreement, which established a so-called “anti-weaponization fund” to compensate people who say they are victims of politically motivated “legal actions.”
Critics liken the initiative to a “slush fund” and warn it will likely be used to pay off Trump’s allies.
Decisions on the distribution of funds from the $1.776 billion fund will be made by a five-member committee, four of whom are appointed directly by President Trump and Mr. Branch, who previously served as his personal attorney.
In a heated exchange with Democratic senators on Tuesday, Blanche denied that President Trump directed the creation of the fund or that it would be used in a partisan manner.
“Anyone can apply to this fund, whether you are Hunter Biden or another individual who believes they have been a victim of weaponization,” Blanche said, referring to former US President Joe Biden’s second son.

