British police investigating Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor have renewed their appeal for information about possible misconduct involving King Charles III’s younger brother.
Thames Valley Police announced on Friday that they were investigating “many aspects of wrongdoing” and speaking to “numerous” witnesses after the US Department of Justice released files on the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
In addition to the misconduct charges, police said they were also investigating reports that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor for “sexual purposes” in 2010. Police said in February that they were aware of such reports and were evaluating the information.
Investigators have contacted the woman’s legal representative and said that if she wants to come forward, the case will be “taken seriously and treated with care.”
“We recognize how difficult it can be to talk about experiences of this kind and any contact with police will take place based on her wishes and when she feels ready and able to do so,” police said in a statement seeking witnesses.
Thames Valley Police Deputy Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the investigation would be “complex” as detectives were examining a “huge amount of information”.
“We are committed to conducting a thorough investigation, wherever all reasonable investigative paths lead,” Wright said. “If you have any information, please contact us.”
Thames Valley Police said it was assisting other forces across the country in contacting Epstein’s victims and survivors, and urged anyone with relevant information to come forward.
“Our door is always open whenever they are ready to engage with us,” the statement said.
Mountbatten-Windsor, the former Duke of York and Prince Andrew, was arrested on February 19 on suspicion of misconduct in public office after his relationship with Epstein was exposed.
The 66-year-old has not been charged and has denied all allegations of wrongdoing, insisting he never witnessed or suspected any of the acts Epstein is accused of.
The police update comes a day after the British government published documents revealing there was no evidence Mountbatten-Windsor was vetted before he was appointed as British trade envoy in 2001.
Mountbatten-Windsor resigned a decade later over her relationship with Epstein, who was convicted in 2008 of pimping a minor.
Mountbatten-Windsor traveled the world as a trade envoy, meeting with business and government officials. Police previously said they were investigating whether he shared confidential information with the disgraced financier while working in unpaid positions.
The former prince is the first member of the British royal family to be arrested in modern history, an unusual development in the long-running controversy over his ties to Epstein. Police also searched his home in Sandringham, Norfolk, eastern England, and his former residence at Royal Lodge in Berkshire. He was released later the same day “pending investigation.”
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal titles last year as the king sought to protect the royal family from scandal.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
