Australian police have apologized after the family of an 18-year-old hiker who went missing in dense bushland for eight days was incorrectly informed that she had been found alive.
In fact, Lily Hooper’s body has been found and an investigation is currently underway to find out how she went missing and how her family received the false news.
New South Wales Police said Hooper went missing on August 12 after leaving Oakdale in New South Wales state for a solo hike in Nattai National Park but did not return home that night.
A multi-agency search operation was launched and continued into early Thursday, with word that she had been found.
Her family believed she was still alive and were seen celebrating at the search scene. Premier Chris Minns also announced his survival during a live Senate committee hearing.
However, minutes later, Minns recanted his statement and admitted that she had indeed died. “I feel so sad for her family,” Minns said.
“Unfortunately there was a miscommunication when Lily’s body was recovered this morning,” NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said at a press conference on Thursday.
“I sincerely apologize for that misunderstanding and for any further trauma it may have caused Lily’s family, but certainly for the embarrassment and confusion it has caused,” he said.
“This confusion clearly stemmed from the euphoria of finding Lily,” Runyon added. “Sadly, that miscommunication led to deflation.”
Hooper was found in a remote area and the news would have been passed on to many people, Runyon said.
The coroner will now investigate the cause of Hooper’s death. An investigation will also be conducted into how the misunderstanding occurred.
Nattai National Park is only about 80 miles from Sydney, but is known for its rugged terrain and massive sandstone cliffs.
Last week, the park experienced severe winds and cold nights.
