Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

IMAX may also sell well. who will buy this

May 22, 2026

US judge dismisses charges against Kilmer Abrego Garcia | Donald Trump News

May 22, 2026

Stock prices continue to rise toward record highs. Here’s how to hedge

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • AI
  • Art & Style
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • International
  • Market
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Trump
  • US
  • World
Smart Breaking News on AI, Business, Politics & Global Trends | WhistleBuzz
Home » Charges against Kilmer Abrego Garcia dropped, judge finds guilty in Trump Justice Department case
Politics

Charges against Kilmer Abrego Garcia dropped, judge finds guilty in Trump Justice Department case

Editor-In-ChiefBy Editor-In-ChiefMay 22, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Kilmer Abrego Garcia leaves a check-in at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency’s Baltimore field office, a day after a federal judge ordered his release from custody in Pennsylvania, Dec. 12, 2025, in Baltimore, Maryland.

Chip Somodevilla | Getty Images

A federal judge in Tennessee on Friday dismissed human smuggling charges against Salvadoran immigrant Kilmer Abrego Garcia, whose mistaken deportation by the Trump administration was the flashpoint for President Donald Trump’s broader immigration crackdown.

U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw ruled that the Justice Department’s charges against Abrego-Garcia were “retaliatory,” finding that the government would not have filed the suit if Abrego-Garcia had not challenged his deportation.

“Then-Attorney General Robert H. Jackson long ago warned his fellow prosecutors about the dangers of choosing people first and crimes second,” Crenshaw wrote at the beginning of his 32-page decision. “That’s the situation here.”

The Justice Department plans to appeal, saying in a statement: “Another activist judge has put politics ahead of public safety. The judge’s order is wrong and dangerous, and we will appeal.”

Crenshaw said records show the government closed its investigation into a traffic stop in Tennessee in November 2022 after Abrego-Garcia was deported from the United States, but reopened it after he sued the Trump administration over his deportation to El Salvador.

“Kilmer Abrego Garcia is a victim of a politicized and vindictive White House and its lawyers at what was once an independent Department of Justice,” Abrego Garcia’s legal team told MS NOW. “As this administration continues to chip away at our democracy, we remain grateful for an independent judiciary that calmly applies binding precedent to the facts.”

The ruling is a major legal victory for Abrego García, who was forcibly returned to El Salvador in March 2025 despite a prior court order barring the U.S. government from returning him there because he could face persecution.

The Trump administration then returned Abrego-Garcia to the United States in June 2025 after the Supreme Court ordered authorities to facilitate his return. But prosecutors first filed criminal charges against him for human smuggling.

Abrego-Garcia has pleaded not guilty and argued the charges were in retaliation for his fight to return to the United States, a position Crenshaw agreed with, resulting in a setback for the Justice Department, which had been in the spotlight for President Trump’s immigration case.

Crenshaw said in his ruling that the record “does not explain the change in the government’s position in firing Mr. Abrego without indicting him and then indicting him and not firing him,” adding that the “retaliatory stain” prompted the new investigation.

The judge also scrutinized the role of senior Justice Department officials, writing that statements by then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche and actions of Acting Deputy Attorney General Aakash Singh called into question the decision to reopen the investigation and seek charges.

“Objective and reliable evidence shows that Judge Mayne was involved in the investigation before McGuire,” Crenshaw wrote, referring to U.S. Attorney Robert McGuire, who led the prosecution.

Crenshaw added that Singh’s involvement “touched everything from the timing of the indictment to the nature of the potential charges.”

Trump did not bring up Abrego-Garcia during a speech in Suffern, New York, immediately after the charges were dropped, and continued to defend the aggressive immigration policies that sparked the case.

“Illegal aliens are everywhere, and people are being shot left and right,” Trump said on stage.

The White House withheld a statement from the Justice Department.

Never miss the most trusted news moments in business news when you choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor-In-Chief
  • Website

Related Posts

Tulsi Gabbard resigns as President Trump’s intelligence director

May 22, 2026

President Trump skips son Donald Jr.’s wedding to Bettina Anderson

May 22, 2026

President Trump defends Justice Department funding after pushback from Senate Republicans

May 22, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

News

US judge dismisses charges against Kilmer Abrego Garcia | Donald Trump News

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 22, 2026

The judge said the human smuggling investigation was reopened after the Salvadoran national filed a…

Mahmoud Khalil appeals U.S. deportation case to Supreme Court | Donald Trump News

May 22, 2026

US says temporary visa holders should leave the country to apply for green cards | Donald Trump News

May 22, 2026
Top Trending

How VCs and founders use inflated “ARR” to win AI startup honors

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 22, 2026

Last month, Scott Stevenson, co-founder and CEO of legal AI startup Spellbook,…

You can no longer search for the word “ignore” on Google

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 22, 2026

Earlier this week, Google unveiled an all-new search experience that brings AI…

I tried out Google’s AI glasses, and I’m almost there.

By Editor-In-ChiefMay 22, 2026

At Google’s I/O developer conference this week, we had a chance to…

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Welcome to WhistleBuzz.com (“we,” “our,” or “us”). Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Policy explains how we collect, use, disclose, and safeguard your information when you visit our website https://whistlebuzz.com/ (the “Site”). Please read this policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • About US
© 2026 whistlebuzz. Designed by whistlebuzz.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.